This was my previous website. After a long time spending on it, I decided to kill my darling. Different machines and different browsers were starting to act up. That is when I realized some frameworks already address these issues. The reception of the website was also lukewarm at best, so the decision was clear to move on. I installed WordPress and bought a theme for Portfolio v3 (which you are visiting right now).
Because I am always annoyed by the constant flashing of websites when you navigate them, I wanted to create a website where the content is asynchronously loaded. So the main elements would remain in place. I used plain XML to load my pages.
A big downside is that I didn’t have a way at the moment to let people link directly to a specific project. I realize this is also crucial for SEO, because at the moment, the engines are not able to crawl through my pages.
My approach was also more offline based. A lot of the logic is performed at the client side. Some stuff could and should have been done using CSS.
I wanted a more straightforward art style. I always liked the UI of Super Smash Bros., so I interpreted some of that style to use for my new website.
My main menu was a nice technical challenge to get the clicks to correspond to the shapes of the buttons.